Posted by puddlegirl on 4:52 AM

Now this is where my forgetfulness could get me in deep doo!

When I used to work ay River City Correctional Center I would get up between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. every morning. One morning I noticed I was running unreasonably low on gas. So I had to make an extra stop on the way to work, which was fine, I had a bit of time. I stopped at the BP at the top of our street and got some gas. Then I was on my merry way and arrived at work just 3 minutes early.

I clocked in. I got keys and my walkie-talkie. (That term is frowned upon in the Corrections business, but That is what it is people!) I walked back to my supervisor's office and start shooting the breeze.

Uneventful, right?

Then I do a play by play of the morning.

Alarm
Shower
Clothes
Teeth
Car
Gas.......

Holy Guacamole! I forgot to pay for my gas! I am a thief! I freak out and everyone at work is trying to figure out why I am panicking. I explain everything to my Supervisor on duty and she allows me to go back to pay. I speed on my way there about 7 minutes of torture! (I cannot believe I STOLE gas!!!

I pulled up and there was a police cruiser there! Oh my God, I am going to be arrested! I am public enemy #1! I ran in and the guy was smiling at me! Why was he smiling? I immediately tried to explain that I would never steal gas on purpose. He was still smiling. I explain to the police officer (who wasn't smiling) I PROMISE! I DON'T STEAL! Now they are both smiling at me! The clerk explains to the officer that I was a "drive-off". I take a second look at the cop... donuts and coffee are in front of him and he's a paying customer! What are the freakin' chances of that? I told them I had returned to pay and it was an honest mistake and they smiled at me again and let me pay. As I was leaving I said to the P.O., "I thought you were here on a police report and you were going to put me in hand cuffs when I walked in!" They laughed at me!!!

Since when do policemen laugh at a crook like me? I guess, since a crook like me comes back in near tears for stealing less than $20.00 worth of gas. I suppose I was not meant to live a life of crime.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Lol!!!!! My dad did that once and the policeman came to our house! My mom told him it was just like my dad to do something like that and paid the for the gas.

Josh Emerson said...

haha!

Francy said...

That is too funny! You have a lot of good blog stories.

Anonymous said...

I've actually done that twice and didn't realize it. I usually have a van full of kids (childcare provider) and my attention gets diverted due to squabbles about who is touching who, etc. One time I didn't even remember until a picture of my vehicle driving out of the lot was sent to me via snail mail. OMG!! I felt the same as you! When I raced over to pay--there was a picture of my van by the cashier's register with a sign that said--"Have you seen this van"? Now I try to swipe my debit card BEFORE I pump! Found your blog through my cousin Melanie's. I've enjoyed it!

Paul said...

I've done that before on a road trip to Virginia. We forgot to pay in West Virginia but didn't realize until Virginia. Now we had crossed state lines! The FBI would be after us! But we were able to get the number of the station and call them and we paid on our way back. It was one of those "I thought you paid!" "No, I thought YOU paid!" kind of deals.

Post a Comment