Posted by puddlegirl on 8:29 AM
Labels:

Why would someone think this is ok?In case you didn't feel like clicking it, it is an article about a stranger spanking a toddler at a local store.
The insane thing is.... people are commenting in support of the spanker! This makes me so angry. Just to let you all know... if you grab my child and spank him... I'm going to grab you and spank your face.
As a mother of two young children I know (Oh, how I know!) they can be annoying, loud, and bad. In public, I do not respond to the craziness that my two year old unleashes, other than hightailing it out of the store or firmly speaking to him. If I ever chose to spank my son in public I would probably have ten people call the police on me for disciplining him, if I don't publicly discipline him someone is going to smack him? I am sure this is a rarity but it is the second such story I have heard in the past month. (A stranger smacked a child in the face for screaming in Walmart.)
What ever happened to a little compassion for a mother who has a hard time getting anything done in a timely manner because her children will not cooperate? I hope I do not turn into a crazy old lady who gives evil stares to young mothers. I get those looks and it doesn't help me at all, but I am often relieved by a helpful stranger who is willing to smile (or even lend a helping hand) because she knows even good moms and good kids have bad days.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Amen Sista'! I mean daughter.

Kelly said...

This further proves my point that some people are out of control and crazy.

Elaine said...

I totally agree with you. It's absolutely unacceptable to smack another person's kid. What is this world coming to???

Francy said...

I read that story too and thought the lady who did the spanking must be suffering from dementia or something. As far as a stranger willing to lend a helping hand, I hated that! When Sarah used to have her meltdowns in public (she probably had about 10 a day so some were bound to be in public), and some stranger would come by and start saying in baby talk, "What's a matter, honey? Are you having a bad day? Do you need a nappy?" etc., it seemed very nervy to me. As if, since I obviously could not control this child from doing her best impression of Linda Blair in the Exorcist, they had to step in to "help" me. It never helped and made me feel worse. Of course, that might just be me!

puddlegirl said...

Oh you would have wanted to punch me Fran. I always talk to kids. I think you just have to remember people have good intentions. (Well most people.) I appreciate anything that gets my kids distracted when they are acting nuts!

Tracy said...

They interviewed this lady on tv. She was obviously drunk when they interviewed her, as she was when she went her her "spanking spree". It just goes to show....you should never drink and shop at the salvation army. It will get you in trouble every time!

DanThoms said...

I've been giving permission by many a parent to inflict corporal punishment upon their kids. Even with said permission I would never never spank someone else kid. Spanking a strangers kid in public, that's just insane.

Reverb said...

I prefer a more subtle form of getting my point across. Such as moving really close to them and farting.

Post a Comment