Posted by puddlegirl on 1:59 AM
Labels: ,

"Let's just call a peach a peach"?
I had never heard this expression before 10 or so days ago. I knew what it meant, but thought it was funny, because who would call a peach anything but a peach? Is this a common expression? I need to know. The phrase comes from my dear fiend Joanna. Joanna has other catchphrases like, "It's not a big of a deal." So as you cn see I don't trust her 100% in this arena.
I imagine the phrase would go something like this, "Let's just call it what it is." or "Let's just call poop, a poop. It is what it is." or "Let's call a roach a roach." Sometimes people try to make bad/gross things not so bad/gross by calling them a different name.
This is the real reason for this post.

Ack!!!! One of these crawled up my pants while we were on the pier yesterday evening. My husband called it a palmetto bug, my eyes called it a cockroach. I felt some relief, because I thought... "Hey it's just a palmetto bug, nothing too bad." Of course I get back to the beach house and type "palmetto bug" into the google search bar and lo and behold... IT'S A ROACH!!!! UGHHH. So to my dear husband "Let's just call a roach a roach." I'm not falling for that palmetto bug thing again.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Palmetto bug is just a regional name for a cockroach. We call them roaches, where others call them palmetto bugs. So for them they would say "Let's just call a palmetto bug a palmetto bug." Its just the same as pop/soda/coke/tonic...

And anyways, what did a roach ever do to you? Has one ever hurt you? Has one ever called you names? Has one ever stolen the last cookie out from under your hand?

:)

DanThoms said...

Your husband would be one to know every known name for any given item. I have never in my life heard of a palmetto bug.

Post a Comment