Posted by puddlegirl on 7:41 AM
Labels: ,

This is the first car I've ever driven........


When I was 10.

Ok, Why was I driving at 10 years old? A few reasons:
#1. I'm the middle child and I need attention.
#2. I was only going to move it back 10 feet.
#3. I was confident and it looked pretty easy.
#4. My mom was on the phone and I didn't want to wait.

So the story, my version at least, goes like this:
I wanted to play basketball and hone in on my mad skills, because I needed to practice so I could play in the NWBA. (Yes, I wanted to be a professional basketball player.) I asked my mom if she could move the car and she told me to wait because she was on the phone. I waited at least 15-1 minutes. Maybe it was closer to the 1 minute mark, she was taking a while on the phone.

I was good at getting attention when I wanted it. So I began to make remarks like.
"Mom, you're taking forever. I'm going to move it myself."
"Mom, where are your keys?"
"I found your keys! I'm gonna go move the car."
Then I walked outside and slammed the door behind me. I was sure she would be right behind me. I walked to the car and looked back at the door. She wasn't coming yet.

I got in the car and slammed the door and sat for a minute. Still no sign of Mom.

I put the keys in the engine and started it up. STILL NO MOM!

Well, I think I've seen this done about one thousand times. I can do it. So I put my foot on the brake... Wait.... this IS the brake right? Yeah this is definitely the brake. I slip the car into whatever, the R mode is, I let got of the brake and I start rolling forward. Wait a stinkin' minute... I wanted to move the car back... not forward. How do I stop this? What did I do wrong? As the car begins to scrape the side of the house I realize I am in the N mode not the R. So I slam the bar back to R and plan on moving it back to the original spot without Mom ever knowing. Well it was too late.....

Mom was behind the car at this point screaming at me to stop and get out of the car. I didn't know about rear view mirrors and stuff and am already backing up. My mom quickly jumps out of the way and continues trying to get my attention. I see her and put on the brakes she yells at me to get out of the car. I obey, as usual, I always follow the rules. See I'm a good kid. I got out and Mom returned the car to it's spot on the driveway. On the DRIVEWAY!?!? In front of the hoop?!?!

Wait, I don't get to play basketball?!? What? I have to go to my room? Now I'm never going to be a professional basketball player! Thanks Mom!

4 comments:

annieglan said...

hhah that is a cute story. my dad would let us drive the van but we were always on his lap. i remember this car. we would always ride winkler style (so 10 kids in the car piled on top of each other). wasn't it blue or grey?

Elaine said...

Oh my. That could have ended bad.

Tracy said...

Yes, yes. It could have ended bad. Her 5 year old sister was outside just wandering around. The funny thing is the car fit perfectly (seriously about 4 inches of leeway) between the house and the basketball pole. You only removed a small chunk of the foundation and, after I calmed down) it was pretty funny. I am pretty sure your punishment was "slave for life." Although now I see that the real punishment was that you lost your chance to play professional basketball. Sorry! (wait a minute....that's backwards!)

Francy said...

Haha, you know you have a good mom when she says you ONLY removed a SMALL chunk of the foundation -- Like it's no big deal that you broke the house.

Post a Comment